Thursday, April 19, 2007

Avril Lavingne has a lot to answer for

Actually, I'm blaming Avril, but truth be told, I doubt that in Australia they've even heard of her.

The thing is this. I live near Hyde Park in Sydney. I frequently walk through aforementioned park to the CBD, or on my way to work, you know, things like that. It's pretty enough. They have a war memorial in the middle (ish) and I think what is meant to be a tranquillity pool. But what they also have, is an inordinate number of skateboarders. In itself, this isn't a big issue, after all, I'm big enough and ugly enough to scowl convincingly at a 12 year old boy giving it all he's got to be a cool dude, dressed in black and/or neon and lolloping about. But in actual fact the 12 year olds are way cooler than that and the skateboarders are, without exception, WELL OVER 30 AND LOOKING LIKE THEY NEED TO GET A LIFE. (And a bath.)

And in fact, now that I've noticed this, I see that this breed of degenerates are sodding well everywhere; skating in the park, skating down Oxford Street, skating by the swimming pool, by the cathedral/church thing, in all the other parks, basically wherever there are a few steps of ledges they can do skate tricks, they're there.

What's it all about. Recapturing your youth??? What happened, why are there so many of them?? Where do they live?? Why don't they go to work?? Why didn't they grow up?? Surely they all can't be thinking they're Peter Pan. And surely none of them have girlfriends?? Who would put up with a 30 year old man walking around with a skateboard trying his best to look 13 and avoiding all contact with soap and water. Ans: No one.

I'm actually tempted to become a skateboard vigilante and push them over as they skate past me. It was all I could do to restrain myself yesterday when one sailed past me on the pavement. Seriously, what twats.