Wednesday, September 12, 2007

It's been a while......

It's been over a month since I last graced the blog with some of my jolly activities down under. To be honest, I got a bit worried when I read this thing online which said that the people who write blogs are self-indulged freaks - or words to that effect.

So to clarify before going any further, I don't actually believe that anyone actually cares much about what I've been up to, but I can usually tell you a story of woe or humiliation at my expense which will keep you amused for the next minute or so.

In this case I shall regale you with another swimming story...... I usually go swimming to the pool down the road from my apartment (when my head isn't filled with grand ideas of Bondi and outdoor pools). So a few weeks ago I decided to head off swimming. I can't remember what day of the week it was - it was a weekday and it was quite late, maybe half eight or something like that. So despite being surrounded by water, swimming actually makes me thirsty, so I normally purchase a bottle of water or gatorade or something like that before I start so that I can stop to take a little sip before heading off for the next lap.

So I buy this bottle of gatorade from the vending machine and get changed. I have a quick shower (as you're meant to) before heading to the pool. On the way, I try to open up the gatorade to have a quick sip. Trouble is my hands are wet and I can't get a grip on the bottle. So I give it a few more goes - while I'm walking around the pool to the bit where I need to get in. Still nothing's happening, I can't shift that bottle cap for love nor money. So I think to myself, I know, I'll head back to my kit, dry my hands and open the bottle, genius.

I head back to my back, dry my hands, dry the bottle and try again. Still not even so much of an inch budged. At this point, there's a fine line between forgetting about the gatorade and looking like a total idiot by asking someone for help. I decide to go for the idiot option. There's a guy just sitting at the side of the pool, so I asked him to open the bottle for me. He took it, and in one fell swoop opened it with ease. Seriously, it opened like I'd been totally faking the whole stuck lid siutation. It must have totally looked like I was trying to flirt with this guy, when in fact (swimming hat freak attire should prove this) it really wasn't the case. (Although in hindsight, he was quite cute - but seriously, swimming hats flatter NO ONE.) In fact, I really was (am?) a weed who couldn't open her own gatorade.

How embarassing?? Oh yes, very. My friends thought it was hilarious though when I told them the next day.