Thursday, October 04, 2007

London here I come.... via New Zealand.....

So a few weeks ago, I went home for a couple of weeks. Home in this case being London. Going home was fun, getting there was like some kind of evil joke involving aircraft, turbulence and jet lag of the worst kind.

I left Sydney on a Friday and flew to Auckland. Now I knew about these new rules about liquids on planes, you know everything has to be under 100ml and in a clear bag blah blah. But you can buy stuff after airport security - so you it's not too much of a big deal. So I fly to Auckland. It's three hours from Sydney so I buy a bottle of coke and a bottle of water. I get to Auckland and have to be scanned again - you know x-ray and metal detector. So they find this bottle of water in my luggage and all of a sudden there's like a huge deal.

NO WHERE did it say what they were scanning for.... it turns out that they're scanning for liquids again..... So there's the drama about the water - they offer to let me go back and empty the bottle and then I can keep it - the freaking plastic bottle, WTF! So I say to the guy, why don't you put up a sign and make a bin available to allow people to prepare for the scanning?? The guy just repeats over and over about the liquids and so on. So I keep asking them why they couldn't put up a sign. And their reply is that they should have told me in Australia. OMG, these people seriously wind me up. Just put up the freaking sign. I mean how hard can it be?? As it turns out EVERY other airport where I transit (and there were a few) puts up the signs..... Duh.

So after the liquids fiasco we end up in the airport. I've got six hours to kill and I swear the aiport is TINY. There are maybe a dozen shops total. There's a Burger King and a coffee store for food, that's it. This has got to be one of New Zealands largest airports and it's seriously unimpressive.

So six hours....

I buy j-pod by Douglas Coupland in the bookstore. Probably the best thing about Auckland Airport. I should've bought a Burger King to top it off.