Friday, October 19, 2007

Call an Ambulance!

OK before I get started, it wasn't me that needed the Ambulance.....

So earlier this year, my friend Mac and I went to Bondi beach, I can't remember why - it might have been for lunch or to go shopping or something like that. Anyway, it's the afternoon and so we're on our way back to the city and we need to get a bus. We're waiting at the bus stop and there's a few buses come along, but they all go past us. There are some other people at the bus stop, but the next stop is only a little way down the road, so we walk down there to get the bus instead.

So we get there and get on the bus and there are people on the bus from the stop we've just walked from, typical we think. And what's more because it's really busy they got on at the stop before us and managed to get seats so it looks like we'll have to stand for the journey back to the city.

Anyway, we can only have got two stops ahead when all of a sudden, there's this woman who's started shrieking about her mother being ill and someone needs to call an ambulance. Literally everyone on the bus would have had a mobile phone - but it was one of those incidents where it's pointless for everyone to get out their phone and start dialling so for the mostpart people just sit there looking around at the next person to see who's getting their phone out. Anyway this one girl gets her phone out - but she doesn't speak english and doesn't know what number to dial. So she passes the phone to my friend Mac. So Mac has this phone in his hand and it's all a bit slow motion as I remember it - but I could see him considering what to do - and it turns out he doesn't know what number to dial either - he's American - for him, it's 911 but what about Australia? So he passes the phone to me and says he doesn't know the number, so I'm standing there with some girls phone in my hand and I realise *I* don't know which number to call either. Meanwhile this old woman has collapsed and the other woman is freaking out.

Oh god, looking back it was the funniest situation. I just had to pass the phone back - I guess I could have carried on passing it around - but it was already getting ridiculous! And then as quickly as it had all happened this woman suddenly recovered. It wasn't like she was running around or anything but they got off the bus and waited there for the Ambulance to arrive. Luckily there was someone on the bus who knew more about the numbers to call than we did.

So in case you need to call the emergency services in Australia - the number is 000. Although how as a new person you're meant to know this is anyone's guess.